I know that this blog is almost always happy and upbeat, but recent events have left us with heavy hearts at the Welch House. As most of you know Tiff's step-brother Dustin was in a serious car accident in September 2008. He suffered a severe spinal cord injury which left him paralyzed as well as brain trauma . Throughout the last year Dustin has been in three different VA hospitals and has received excellent care. He has been surrounded by his mom, dad, step-dad, girlfriend, and friends and family. He fought as hard as a person could fight and yesterday, September 15, 2009 Dustin Lewis Bowman lost his fight. For a perfect tribute to Dustin please take some time to read his mother's words; A Peaceful Ending.
As a mother of two very young children I cannot even begin to imagine what Mary Pat has been through in the last year; losing her oldest son, then her other son, Dustin, in a serious car accident, her mother passing from terminal cancer, and finally the passing of Dustin.
What I can do is recognize the amazing strength, courage and faith that Mary Pat has shown all of us over the last year. With the love and support of her husband (my dad) and her faith in God she has taught us how to be stronger and live more fulfilling lives. Dad and Mary Pat have taught us how to love unconditionally, and have unconditional faith in God. They have continued to keep a positive attitude through the darkest of days. They have taught us to believe that God's plan, while we may not understand it, or like it, is a grand plan. They have taught us to cry when we want to cry, and that it is OK to laugh and enjoy life as well. Dad and Mary Pat have reminded us how precious each and every moment with our loved ones is and to make time to show our love and give extra hugs and to make as many memories as possible.
It is with tears in my eyes that I mourn the loss of Dustin and recognize the amazing strengths that my dad and Mary Pat teach me. There isn't anything I can do to change this tragic situation and this feeling of loss. What I can do is love and appreciate my life, hug and kiss Matigan, Sarah, and Ryan more, tell my friends and family how much they mean to me and be grateful for all the amazing blessings in my life. God has a grand plan and although some parts of the plan are difficult to take, the plan is for me and it is with faith that I believe in his plan and welcome it with open arms.
To Dustin~ I know we didn't know each other well, but we loved you and cared for you so very much. We admired your strength, courage, and creativity. Your memory will live with us forever.
To Dad and Mary Pat~ We send all of our love to you each and every day. We admire your strength, faith, and determination. We know that in times of great tragedy come great triumphs. We know that you will touch an endless number of lives through the foundation you will create in Dustin's honor and are excited to help you realize your dreams.
To Ryan, Matigan, and Sarah~ Words cannot explain how grateful I am for each of you. I'm grateful for your love, your companionship, your laughter and your tears. I'm grateful for all of the joy your bring to my life and for all the lessons I learn from you. I love you with my whole heart.
To my family and friends ~ I am such a blessed person to be surrounded by amazing family and friends who are constant sources of joy and support for me. Thank you for always knowing the right things to say, thanks for all of the love and support, and thank you for making my life complete. I love you all.
5 comments:
"God has a grand plan and although some parts of the plan are difficult to take, the plan is for me and it is with faith that I believe in his plan and welcome it with open arms."
Tiff, praying that the Lord would bring you comfort and peace in this time of loss and praying that He would make His plan evident that you might glorify Him even in the mourning.
Tiff, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. What a tough year for you and your family. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Honey I am so proud to say that you are my Daughter. I love you and am so proud. God will carry us through the valleys of life if we only obey His commandments.
Love dad and Mary Pat
That was said perfectly!
Oh, Tiff, so sorry to hear!
Post a Comment