We are all excited for the New Year and are grateful for the many blessings in our lives. This year we are all focusing on gratitude and kindness - something we can never have too much of if you ask me!
In addition, we have decided to be brave and branch out in our family dinners at home. We signed up for a meal plan service and chose to go with the Vegetarian option (knowing I can add meat to meals if desired). We are only one day into the first week but we are all committed to be brave and try new things. We recognize that some meals may not be our favorites but will keep an open mind and eat several bites of everything on our plates.
Day 1: Lentil & Mushroom Madeira, Smashed Butternut Squash & Brussels Sprouts
First, I will say that my shopping habits and cooking habits were challenged. Buying new foods, finding foreign ingredients etc... proved to be a little more time consuming than I had hoped, but I know I'll get the hang of it quickly. As for cooking... I very rarely follow recipes! This is a good lesson for me. Again, with time and practice this too will be come easy!
- Review: I didn't make the trip to the liquor store to buy the Madeira wine and instead used what we had - Malbec. While I don't have a comparison, I think it tasted great. Everyone liked the lentil & mushroom "malbec". The smashed butternut squash included goat cheese (another ingredient that I like, but have never purchased or cooked with). What a great combination! Sarah wasn't a fan, but she did try it. Brussels sprouts are not new to our family. Sarah usually won't eat them. I suggested that this time we re-name things that we say we "don't like" and try with fresh taste buds. She named them Lettuce Goodness and she asked for a second serving!! Excited to see how Day 2 goes tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment