Tis the Season for holiday cheer, family get togethers, gifts, and love. As I embrace this time of year with my two young daughters and my husband I can't help but think about those family members that are no longer with us. While I'm extremely grateful for all the amazing family I have in my life, I still think about what life may be like were some people still with us.
On November 14th I lost my grandma Margaret. She was an 84 year-old stubborn but fabulous woman. Growing up she would visit periodically but it wasn't until my twenties that I made the effort to develop my own relationship with her - independent of her relationship with other family members. I'm incredibly grateful that I did so. Grandma was such a wonderful and spirited woman. Matigan and Sarah Corinne were also lucky enough to spend time with their Great-Grandma on several occasions and I am forever grateful. Grandma always sent ornaments at this time of year and as we decorated our tree I smiled with tears in my eyes as I handled the special ornaments from Grandma. I know she is still with us and I think about her daily.
On December 8, 1963 (yes - 1963 - not a typo) my Grandma and Grandpa Gilbert died in a plane crash. My mom was almost 13 and her brother 15 when they lost both of their parents. I can't even imagine. Growing up I asked my mom and many occasions - "do you miss your mom and dad". She always replied with a yes, and what she missed the most about them "was that they never got to meet you and your brother".
We have pictures and stories of Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Bob (and I often wonder if we'd call them Grandma and Grandpa or if they'd have chosen different names). My middle name was given to me after my Grandma and my husband and I wanted our kids to have her names as well - Matigan's middle name (Miller) is for Grandma and Sarah Corinne is also named after Joyce Corinne Gilbert (Miller). Although I never met or knew my maternal grandparents I still feel a sense of loss for never having known them.
Recently my cousin Matt Gilbert (my mom's brother's son) has been sharing stories, sending me a picture of their headstone in a PA cemetery and most recently shared this wonderful blog posting from the County where the plane crashed. It seems that not only were the surviving relatives effected, but as were those who lived in the community, the first responders, and many others. It warms my heart to know that although all the passengers and crew from Pan Am Flight 214 were lost, they have not been forgotten. We hope to have several family members in attendance for the 50th Anniversary of the Crash on December 8, 2013.
Here is a picture of the memorial near the site of the crash:
A recent Google search yielded many results, one of which was this you tube video simulating the flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4gdy99s2wQ
Hold those that you love close and remember that life is short and to enjoy and appreciate all of those you hold dear.

1 comment:
Great post!
I too on many occasions wondered how things may have been different if they were around. I can't imagine what your Mom and my Dad went through.
Post a Comment