Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Breakdowns

Sometimes there is nothing that will make you feel better than a good old fashion cry.  Today was one of those days.  No, not for the kids, for me!!  We are entering the very tough stage for Sarah Corinne as she begins to test the boundaries and pushes us to our limits.  She is a really great communicator but doesn't quite get that she can't ALWAYS have it her way!  I try to take lots of deep breaths and be calm and explain things.  But, in instances like this morning, I just had to put her in her crib to cry it out (after she threw a total fit because she got a pink cup rather than a purple one filled with chocolate milk.  (shouldn't the exciting part be the chocolate milk?  It's not an everyday occurrence at the Welch house!)  She proceeded to throw the cup on the floor causing the lid to pop off and all of the chocolate milk to fly all over the kitchen).  I cleaned the kitchen, had a chat with Sarah and tried again. 

After a similar tantrum for a second time and another trip to the crib for "time out" I sat on the bottom stair and just let the tears flow too.  I figured if she can cry - maybe I should try too?  Matigan quickly realized something was very wrong and came and gave me a big hug.  Then she brought me my water bottle and said; "mom, does crying make you thirsty?"  She then scratched my back.  Ah, the sweet and caring side of my oldest shined through (it's not something we see all too often but love when we do!).  After a good shedding of the stress through all the tears it was time to stand up and be the bigger person.  After all, I'm the mom right?  I am the one that is supposed to be able to handle all the curve balls and deal with all the craziness and still go about my day right? 

In the end we just had to tough it out today.  Some days are good and the others?  Well, you know, you have to have bad days to know what the good ones look like I guess.

We spent some time at the rec center pool later and all took a little rest this afternoon and that seemed to help just a little. 

I'm eternally grateful for my supportive, loving, and caring husband who recognizes that I need a little alone time here and there and is always happy to give it to me.

SIGH

The life of a mom.  A blessed life it is.

No comments: