Sunday, September 14, 2008

For my Matigan - with video

We love the ease and flexibility of capturing all things Welch on our family blog. It has proven to be great for family and friends who live far away and makes many feel as though they can grow with the kiddos.

That being said, I wish I'd discovered this when Matigan was an infant because as first time parents Ryan and I had some really funny stories to share. I told this to Ryan last night and he suggested that I post those things as I remember them. Here is one that still makes us laugh!

When Matigan was very young she had Cradle Cap (basically baby dandruff) and I was in constant search for a solution so that she didn't continue to flake all over the place! (I refused to spend the $5.99 for the "Cradle Cap" solution in the store)

So, what's a new mom to do? Consult the book What to Expect the First Year and see what they suggest. (By the way, I have yet to open that silly book since Sarah was born). Anyway... the book suggested putting petroleum jelly (AKA Vaseline) on the baby's head. OK, I can do that. I headed up to the bathroom with Matigan in hand and proceeded to put the Vaseline on her scalp. What the book did not say (and I didn't even consider) was the fact that Vaseline and human hair do not mix!!! And most of you know, Matigan always had a very full head of fairly long hair! OOPS.

Needless to say I quickly realized that the Vaseline (while it may have been good for her scalp) was not good for her hair! I put her in the bath and washed her hair at least 10 times but couldn't get it out. That night we had friends over to meet Mattie for the first time and she looked like a complete GREASER! Yikes.

So, Google to the rescue! (Seriously, where would any of us be without Google?) Turns out Corn Starch is the remedy to getting the Vaseline out. So, up to the bath again we go. This time with Matigan and a box of Corn Starch. I dumped the Corn Starch onto her dry hair and let it soak up the grease. Matigan looked like a mini-Einstein with the white hair sticking up in all directions. I laughed out loud when looking at Matigan and taking this video:


After three rounds of the whole Vaseline - Corn Starch routine I decided to just suck it up and buy the solution from the store. And guess what? It worked wonders. Two uses and her Cradle Cap was gone, never to return again. Best $6.00 I ever spent. And, what's even better is that I kept the bottle and can use it on Sarah now!

Sorry for the lengthy and wordy posting, but we figured this will be a great place for Matigan and Sarah to learn about their lives.


2 comments:

Tyne said...

I bet she looked so great in her cornstarch and vaseline hair. My kids all have had cradle cap, the best thing I have used is olive oil- just let it sit on the scalp for a bit then use a fine tooth comb to work it out. I think olive oil will wash out easier, too.

Unknown said...

oh it's sooo much better with video--i laughed out loud too. totally something i would have done! thanks for sparing me!