Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kindergarten here I come!!!

Today was a very exciting day in the Welch House!  Matigan went to her first day of Kindergarten!  She has been looking forward to this day for a long time and this morning I went into her room and gently woke her up and she immediately said, "Hi mom, is it time for school?"  She jumped out of bed and got dressed and went through her morning routine.  She was so happy, excited, and sweet.  After a quick breakfast.....
we fixed her hair, and took her outside for the obligatory pictures in the front yard


The four of us then walked down the block to the bus stop.  Matigan has always been so excited about riding the school bus.  I offered to take her to school on the first day and she said, "why mom?  Can't I just ride the bus?". Well, who am I to stop my little lady who wants to be a big kid and ride the bus?  So, we decided she would ride the bus and I would meet her on the other end and make sure she knew how to find her classroom and teacher.  
 We all walked to the bus stop and a couple minutes later the big yellow bus pulls up and Matigan waves to us and climbs on board.  No muss, no fuss, she just hopped on the bus.  Now, I have to admit, I was fully prepared for her to get scared and decide that she wanted me to take her in the car.  But, no, I was wrong!

 After a quick drive, I parked at the school and found Matigan waiting patiently on the sidewalk outside her bus.  We walked over to the playground outside the Kindergarten rooms and Matigan was excitedly telling me; "mom, I saw Evelynn on the bus [an older girl who lives down the block] and I saw Cherrywood Park [our neighborhood park], and I saw our house too!  Do I get to ride the bus home today too?"  OK, so clearly the bus thing will work out well for our family!

Matigan instantly met a couple kids on the playground and ran off.




 Her teacher, Mrs. Lewandowski invited everyone inside (parents included) and I watched as she guided the kids around the room to tell them about the bathrooms, craft area, play area, learning center, library/story area etc... 
 

The kids all sat down and the teacher sang the "Ryan Song" and then the kids happily waved goodbye. 



It was so easy, so natural, and so comforting to know that Matigan was ready to officially start school!  I left with my heart filled with pride and a big smile on my face.

Today was only a short day and I picked her up 2 1/2 hours later. She was still all smiles and told me all about her day and asked if she could go again tomorrow.   I think she'll do just fine!  We are so blessed.


No comments: